Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Inaugural Hoop Yoga Workshop


As some of you know (and many of you don't :), my newest obsession (addiction?!?) has been hula hooping... sounds silly, but trust me, its an amazing work out, stress reliever, and overall fun thing to do! (Even our first lady is into hooping!) And since I love it so much, I want to share the joy with friends... I've collaborated with two of my favorite people to create an amazing new workout class... and I'm asking you a favor to come and be our guiney pigs and please help us try it out!


I, along with my sister, Rebecca Asmussen and our favorite yoga instructor, Nicole Benisch ( + my soul sister ;), both also avid hoopers, developed a class we call *Hoop Yoga*. The class will involve a combination of traditional yoga, yoga that uses the hoop as a tool, and hoop conditioning exercise ,and hoop dance -- sounds like a lot of craziness right? Well, they say opposites attract, and we think its a really superfun combo! But we'd like you to tell us what you think, as you've all had very diverse work out / dance / fun-loving experiences :)


Q: "What if I was never able to hula hoop as a kid!? I'm not coordinated... I'm going to look silly with a hula hoop!" A: Girls, I couldn't hoop as a kid at all, but I can now! We use larger, weighted hoops which make it much easier to catch on to hooping, and provide better exercise too... in fact, we haven't yet met someone that we couldn't teach to hoop, so trust us, you can do it, dont worry! I think just about everyone we're inviting to try the class are inexperienced or beginner hoopers., so you'll be in good company! AND (my favorite part!)-- 1 hour of hooping burns the same amount of calories as running on the treadmill for the same amount of time at an 8 minute mile pace!!! (PS, trust me, no matter how uncoordinated you feel, you're going to LOVE hooping for exercise to burn those same calories you would running!!! AND I've been doing a crazy boot camp for 6 months but I think hooping has been the best ab/core workout I've ever experienced!)

Q: "Where and when is the class?"A: Sunday, 11/15/09 @ 8 pm Sounddance Studio - (281 N. 7th Street between Havemeyer & Meeker (BQE), Williamsburg, Brooklyn. Trains-- take train to Bedford or Lorimer, or G train to Metropolitan/ Lorimer)(**Manhattanites-- I know, you don't want to come to brooklyn, BUT-- we want to get studio space in Manhattan-- we're working on it, but for this trial class, please please come 1 stop on the L into Brooklyn for this class! Its so easy to get there!)

Q: "Do I need to own a hula hoop to come to the class?"A: Nope! We'll have the hoops and the mats, just bring yourself!

Q: "How much does it cost??"A: FREE! Though donations are appreciated!!!. Since we're soliciting your help to try it out, the class is FREE... But if you can afford it, please give a donation ($5, or whatever you can afford to give us... $3? $10? :) the donation is to help us cover the cost of the rental space and to supply the hula hoops for the class. PS--Becca and I hand-make the hula hoops! you'll have an opportunity to get your own as well if you fall in love with hooping!!!)


xoxo,Mary Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment